Re: Toshiba USB HD

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
dasd wrote:
On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:29:05 -0500
"Kip Thomas" <kip.thomas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm taking a stab at it.  You said HD but I'm guessing a CDROM?

I guess you don't see an icon on your desktop where you can mount or
access files in the CD.

Thank you pal, for replying so soon. But, in the mean time, my problem
got autosolved. Just by chance, I plugged it to a differnt USB slot,
and it got recognized, mounted and all. Sorry that I bothered you with
it.
It sounds like ether the first socket didn't have enough power. With
USB hard drives that are powered off the USB bus is that you have to
let the drive spin up before things work correctly. I have two

A USB CD-ROM would have to be self-powered; I'm yet to see even a 3.6" drive enclosure that's not.

laptop drive enclosures that are powered this way, and I have to
plug in the power-only plug and let the drive spin up, before
plugging in the data plug. I also have a couple of 3-1/2" drive
enclosures that have their own power supply. Most of them requiring
turning on the drive power supply before plugging in the USB plug. I
do have one that works fine plugging in the USB plug before turning
on the power. But that one does not show up in lsusb before turning
it on. I gues sit depends on how the electronics are powered, and if
the firmware handles the drive powering up after the USB interface.

The order of turning on power should not matter. After a power failure,them drive is almost certain to be up first. OTOH I'd not wish to remove the USB cable to power off/power on a drive (I may want it connected over time, but not necessarily with power).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait