Using autofs to mount user dirs...

We're in the process of separating some of our services off of one server and onto others. At the moment we have one server that houses everything for our users. I'd like to move everyone's web space onto our dedicated farm, but leave the user login on the current machine. And the idea is that I would use netfs to auto mount their webspace either when they login to their account, or just when they actually need to access it.

My problem is that I'm not sure netfs can actually do this without me having to have each and every user listed in an auto.X file. User web folders are in /home/$USER/www and on the remote server they will live in /mnt/ext/www/$USER

So how do I configure a netfs map file to do this, if it's even possible? All the examples I've seen are for maps where the entire path is known (and fixed). Here my $USER is a variable...