Re: Red Hat - Sun Now Java buddies

Stijn Hoop writes:

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 13:23:56 -0500
"Kelly Miller" <lightsolphoenix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * inserting Microsoft IP into the community and getting them to
> like it
> * crushing Java
> * crushing Flash
> * crushing standard Python

And Ruby, as well as attempting to hand Microsoft the keys to the
Gnome project...

Geez, cut down on the FUD people. It's another programming language,

No, it's not just another programming language. It is a patent-encumbered programming language whose direction is steered and controlled by a convicted monopolist, whose declared, unquestioned, and ultimate goal is to destroy Linux.

not a monstrous black hole sucking down all your favorite open source
software.

… yet.

If you don't like mono, don't use it.

True. Unfortunately a lot of Mono crap gets shoved into a typical Fedora install. Fortunately, it's still fairly easy to flush it out.

                                       It's there because there was a
demand for it, whether *you* like it or not.

There's also a lot of demand for MP3 software as well, yet there's no MP3 support in Fedora, nor there should be. Just because there may or may not be demand for Mono (I do not necessarily agree that there are really a lot of people craving for all that bloat) it does not mean that it should be a part of Fedora.

                                              It's not harming you or
Fedora in any way.

No, not quite. The Fedora install on my laptop was suffering greatly, until I nuked Beagle and the rest of the Mono-related software. Then, I could actually use it, as intended.