Re: Canoscan N640P in FC6

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 06:44 -0500, Gary Waters wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was given a canoscan N640P scanner and simply cannot get this thing
>> to work in Fedora core 6. I've googled until my mind turned to mush. I
>> found considerable info on configuring sane with this unit, and
>> followed everything step-by-step, but to no avail. The unit definitely
>> works in XP. Any clues, pointers, rain dances, astrological forecasts,
>> or even Nostradamus quotes regarding a solution would be greatly
>> appreciated...
>
> Nostrodamus asks, "Is it SCSI, Parallel or USB?"
> Since I already channel Kurt Vonnegut Jr. and Hunter Thompson, ole
> Nostros grabbed a piece of my brain too, to ask for clarification.

This is a parallel scanner according to the SANE compatibility list.
With the default permissions, a normal user does not have access to
a parallel port. I do not have a parallel scanner handy to test, so
I don't know what happens if you boot the system with the scanner
turned on. I know some parallel devices are effectively plug and
play, but most of that experience is with printers. I think it also
works on scanners, but I have not had a parallel scanner is a few years.

> What you may not have done is open the lid after invoking sane. It'll go
> lurch-lurch and be ready to scan. My HP refuses to scan unless I open
> and shut the lid at times, especially if I put the picture in, then
> crank up sane after. I did all that you did, beat myself up, brain
> turned to mush, etc. Then discovered this "feature". A grown man crying
> is a pitiful thing to see. :) Ric

You have to love it when the people writing the firmware decide they
know better then you do. I guess they want to make sure you don't
scan the cover, so they don't start scanning until you lift the
cover, and hopefully put something in to scan. Maybe it saves tech
support calls about blank scans...

Mikkel