Re: error, missing dependency, and it's the kernel

Tim wrote:
Hi,

Just wondering about something in general:  From time to time I get a
yum error about trying to update something like an nvidia kernel module
not being possible because there's no kernel available to go along with
that version.

Trying several different mirrors doesn't help, and I can't be bothered
to go trying them all out.  I'll just wait a few days for things to
settle.

But how have they compiled their module for a kernel that isn't
available?  Surely that's a bit chicken and eggish?  Wouldn't they be
compiling against a customised Fedora kernel, rather than one from
somewhere else?  And, if so, why don't we have the same one available to
us?

I got that Nvidia update that failed when it could not find the needed kernel. I was not worried because I have switched to the Nvidia bash file which makes a kernel module when needed. It IS very slick. So I just watch for kernel updates and if one breaks Nvidia I will make it a module.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User