Re: Bug filed on openoffice-writer 2.3.0 problem with Landscape Printing

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 09:30 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > > ----
> > > I think I gave you the recipe above - rather than test it out, you post
> > > again. It wasn't intended to snippy beyond the obvious thought that you
> > > could at least try it on your own.
> > >
> > > In consideration that you don't understand the difference between page
> > > layout and document format consider a 'Presentation' document with 20
> > > slides. In your view, each slide would necessarily have to be on
> > > separate pages.
> > >
> > > If you choose 'Format => Page => US Letter / Landscape' and then in
> > > Print => Properties choose to print 4 per page in Landscape mode, you
> > > get 5 pages with 4 slides per page.
> > >
> > > Craig
> > >
> > In order to understand each other we have to be talking about the same
> > thing. I was discussing File->Printer Setup -> Properties
> > and you are discussing File->Print->Properties.
> >
> > Nothing would stop you from choosing Landscape under either of these
> > Properties tabs. Then you could go to File->Print-> Page Setup and
> > choose 4 pages per page. Why should you have to go to Format-> Page at
> > all?
> ----
> All I have on my desktop at the moment is FC6
>
> Anyway, I am not certain why you would expect
>
> File => Printer Setup => Properties
>
> to have anything to do with the current document formatting whatsoever.
> Are you suggesting that this shouldn't be called Printer Setup b I saidut
> rather Document Setup and thus duplicative of Format => Page?
>
> Nothing you are going to say is going to change the fact that document
> properties and printer properties are in the case of OpenOffice.org, two
> entirely separate things. I appreciate that not all programs offer the
> distinction but I would think that it inures to the flexibility of
> openoffice.org and would prefer not to dumb it down because someone
> doesn't get it.
>
> CraigI
I explained this all in the message you are responding to, You either
accept what I said or you don't. But it is clear to me that the
developers of openpffice are doing what I said they were doing.

All seems condemned in the long run to approximate a state akin to
Gaussian noise. -- James Martin