Re: How I can automate postgres DB backing up?

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 20:14 +0700, Strong wrote:
> I have several DBs in single claster. When I make
>
> pg_dumpall -U postgres >file
>
> it asks me for password exact times the number DBs I have. Even to do
> that manualy, it sucks. But I want to go even farther: how I can
> automate the process to put into cron?
----
man psql

When the defaults aren’t quite right, you can save yourself some typing
by setting the environment variables  PGDATABASE,  PGHOST, PGPORT
and/or  PGUSER to appropriate values. (For additional environment
variables, see the documentation.) It is also convenient to have a
~/.pgpass file to avoid regularly having to type in passwords. See the
documentation for more information.

If you don't know how to create bash script files and add scripts to
cron, download webmin as it can set this all up for you quite easily.

http://www.webmin.com

Craig