Re: [OT] Digital camara

> Hi all, sorry for the OT, but as many people here have more knowledge
> then me on this topic I'll just ask.
>
> I'm about to by a digital camara and I was looking at a Panasonic Lumix
> with 5MP and 6x optical zoom.
>
> I tend to see the 6x zoom more interesting then having 7 or more MP, but
> I'd like to know if I should go for more MP or stay with the good zoom.
>
> Once againg, sorry for the OT.

You have received some good information, but I thought I would put in my
two cents worth.  First a bit of truth  in advertising.  I shoot with a
couple of DSLRs and an older compact, all are made by Nikon.

The reference to dpreview is perhaps the best site for you to get
reviews, but beware of flame wars between, for example, Nikon and Canon
shooters.  I  have never seen a digital zoom image worth a hoot in IQ
(image quality)  I think of digital zoom more as a novelty.  I have
never used the digital zoom on my compact.

I am happy that you seem to have not fallen for the megapixel
advertising stuff.  (More MP will get you more resolution in an image.
My cameras are 4 MP, 6 MP and 10 MP.)  But I have seen images printed
with a high quality ink jet at 11 x 14taken with my 4 MP compact after
processing with Photoshop Elements (Sorry about the Windoze reference).
It wasn't the highest quality image, but acceptable, and at 4 x 6 up to
8 1/2 x 11 the results are pretty good.  Not up to the resolution of a 6
MP or 10 MP at printed at 11 x 14 or 16 x 20, but I think you will find
5 MP OK.

The best thought on photography I have heard is that it is not the
camera that determines the quality of an image, it is the person behind
the camera.

dlg