Re: Canoscan N640P in FC6

Gary Waters wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was given a canoscan N640P scanner and simply cannot get this thing to
> work in Fedora core 6. I've googled until my mind turned to mush. I
> found considerable info on configuring sane with this unit, and followed
> everything step-by-step, but to no avail. The unit definitely works in
> XP. Any clues, pointers, rain dances, astrological forecasts, or even
> Nostradamus quotes regarding a solution would be greatly appreciated...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gary

A couple of things to look at...

First, make sure you have the parallel port modules. (ppdev, lp,
parport, parport_pc) I don't remember if all of htem are needed, or
if you can get by with just the parport and lp modules.

The second thing is that the default permissions for the parallel
port does not allow access by a normal user.

crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 0 Sep 19 23:35 /dev/lp0

You can modify the console.perms configuration to change the
permissions to allow the user logged into the console to have
access, or you can add the users you want to have access to the
scanner to the lp group. The first involves creating a file in
/etc/security/console.perms.d to add the rule, or having udev make a
scanner symlink pointing to the correct lp device and the second
involves opening up the Users and Groups tool, and the user(s).

As a tempary fix, that should add until you reboot, you can change
the ownership of the port. If your user is gary, you can run, as
root, something like:

chown gary /dev/lp0

or

ln -s /dev/lp0 /dev/scanner

If you create the symlink, then the ownership change will not take
affect until you log out, and log back in, and will only work if you
are logged in locally.

The reason it is complicated is that Linux does not know what is
plugged into the parallel port, so you end up telling it. A USB
scanner would usually be automatically detected. It is possible to
ask a device plugged into the parallel port what it is. But the
device has to be powered up. I have not looked, but I think this is
still done at boot if kudzu runs at boot time.

Remember, the changes made by chown or ln in the /dev/directory are
lost when you reboot!

Mikkel