Re: Hard Drive Speed

Ric Moore wrote:
On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 15:49 +1030, Tim wrote:
Tim:
Other than some drives come jumpered to run at half that speed, so
they're compatible with older SATA hosts.
Ric Moore:
Where or what do you look for check to see just what is jumpered?
The drive... ;-)

I shoulda expected that one! ;)
For a SATA drive, that'd probably be the only jumper
available on it, and if the drive's label doesn't explain, you'd have to
go to the manufacturer's website.

My drive has one of those jumpers, and the top-of-the-drive label
explains it.

Just for ducks, why would they set the drive to half speed? Think it
might have failed some reliability test at the factory?? Am I about to
bork my drive if I find it set to half-speed and return it to full? I
know that any answer would be pure speculation, but I want to make a
reasonable decision.
<maybe someone should just kill me now to end the possible forthcoming
pain!>  Ric

On my SATA they said the white jumper was installed to make this drive emulate an IDE. So I removed the white drive and can't say it changed a thing :-)

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User