Re: Rootkit

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 22:31 -0500, Doug Wyatt wrote:

> Karl Larsen wrote:
> >    I put rootkit in Google and learned they are mainly aimed at Windows.
> > I know Windows from about XP have a kernel but it really does little.
> > The rootkit designs I saw were aimed at the kernel for some reason. No
> > where could I find mention of a Linux rootkit.
> >

> FWIW, I been running rkhunter on Unix and Linux systems for several
> years, on a regular basis.  I also occasionally run chkrootkit, but
> I like rkhunter better.  It checks for more than 100 rootkits and
> trojans <http://www.rootkit.nl/projects/rootkit_hunter.html>

Woah! That's the old web site and no longer accessible. The rkhunter
project was taken over and has now moved to SourceForge:

   http://sourceforge.net/projects/rkhunter

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839