Re: nvidia

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 08:14 +0000, Andy Green wrote:

> > His position is the same as mine that if the GPL stops you **utterly in
> > your tracks** from doing useful stuff, then the old-school "Right Thing"
> > principle kicks in. You look for a solution, any solution to get the job
> > done. Something is rotten in Denmark when the goal is being righteous as
>
> The GPL doesn't stop you combining stuff, it stops you distributing some
> combinations.  That's a bit different.  Proprietary licensed stuff is
> far worse, you can't redistribute it AT ALL or you get chucked in jail.

Please explain. If nVidia states on their site that it's perfectly ok to
redistribute their driver package, then it's Richard Stallman that is
going to chuck me in jail? <cackles hugely and smirks>

>    This and his unwillingness to converge on any agreement different
> from his starting position is my problem with Les' complaints, despite I
> have seen him say a lot of smart things otherwise.

All I have gathered is that his stance is that it shouldn't be a show
stopper until a better solution is found. When I worked in Installation
Support, back when, it was not uncommon for us to recommend OSS to
enable a users sound card. While Hannu did a bunch of support for a free
OSS for Linux, the version he sold for a mere $10 was better. Oddball
sound cards (mainly the on-board variety) became usable and people were
happy. We had our queues cleared out of sound card problems too, nor did
anyone every complain about the GPL. The end-user was enjoined to not
redistribute the commercial version of OSS.

> Sometimes you have to use proprietary stuff to do what you need to do at
> all -- but it wasn't that long ago that 100% proprietary was the only
> choice.  Now for a lot of us it is the unusual case at the edge on our
> PCs and even outside of PCs FOSS solutions are creeping into the other
> devices around us too.

It probably always will. Compromise. A wonderful and beautiful word.
Perspective, also a word that you'll probably never hear used enough by
those in Power & Authority (or by those that want to be in that
position).

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar