Re: RPM

Les Mikesell wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

My opinion is the book is just as good today as it was 10 years ago. The updates have been to solve bugs and make the code better at doing what it does. And the way to make a rpm file has not changed in 10 years.
Does the book cover the split in functionality between the rpm and
rpmbuild programs that happened some time ago? 'man' will show what
each does now.
Also, you really want to understand 'yum' before trying to do much
with the lower level rpm commands. If you are trying to install
something that exists in a yum-compatible repository, you should use
yum instead of touching rpm directly, and if you are building rpms
yourself for more than one machine you'll probably want to put them in
a yum repository that all machines can access.
Well I know from reading man yum that it uses rpm and if there is a problem with rpm then yum errors out. We see that a lot on this list. I will check the book on rpmbuild programs and see what they and check that with the man page.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User