Re: Flat Monitors [OT]

Tim:
>> Where I work, in television, where they do buy horrendously expensive
>> monitors, they will not touch LCDs for anything other than monitors that
>> aren't paid close attention to.

Dean S. Messing:
> That's because studio people are notoriaously over-conservative.  (I
> worked with them extensively at Tektronix.  Trying to get them to use
> digital scopes in the beginning was like pulling teeth.  At one point
> we had to put a circuit into one of our products to make the noise
> floor "look analogue".  It was entirely artificial but it made the
> studio engineers happy.)

It's blatantly obvious to everyone's eyes in an A/B comparison that the
LCDs are crap.  The resolution is seriously inferior, as is the contrast
range.

>> CRTs far exceed them in all the things you just mentioned.

> This is simply false.   You don't appear to have looked at
> the specs in a while.

I have, and I've also seen the things in action.  What I notice, quite
frequently, is that manufacturers of LCD and Plasma screens LIE about
the contrast, similar to manufacturers lies using PMPO for audio
systems.  It's horrendously obvious that they're do dithering patterns
to try and fake a wider range of contrast than the device actually can.
Just about all LCDs end up looking like bad JPEG compression (and this
is from high quality uncompressed sources) or the use of Floyd Steinberg
dithering on the old inkjet printers.

When you take something like a broadcast camera, which has brilliant
image generation, and do A/B tests on CRTs versus LCDs, you notice that
a CRT has a very wide, and usable range, of contrast.  LCDs, in
comparison, look like we're playing with less than eight-bit DACs.

You have to get ridiculously expensive LCD panels to compare to modest
priced CRTs, and that's hardly a realistic test.  A realistic comparison
of vaguely similarly priced domestic sets shows, every time, that a $200
CRT set is vastly superior to a $700 LCD set.  The same goes for
computer monitors - cheaper CRTs producing better pictures than even
more expensive LCDs than the CRT device.

The attempt to pretend that LCDs are better than CRTs is just another
case of the emperor's new clothes.

> MTF?  CRTs have _never_ been close to LCDs.

When we have twenty year old LCD displays still going strong, I might
believe that.  Oh yes, CRT sets can have a long life.

> It's no accident that traditional CRT manufacturers
> (e.g. Sony, Sharp) have shut down their manufacturing lines.

It's called marketing.  The current technology trends, LCDs, digital
video, etc., have been a step backwards in quality.  For years the push
was to improve the quality of devices, in more recent times it's been to
see just how poorly things can be gotten away with (e.g. using the
heaviest compression and lowest resolutions possible to get acceptable
results).

It takes a really crap CRT (and there are examples of that) to look
worse than a LCD.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.