Re: ever migrate from Fedora to Scientific Linux or CentOS?

On 10/31/07, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The unexpected bug introduced by frequent updates (much less
> re-installs)  have lost some of their charm for us.
> In the past I've resisted adopting these longer lived distros because,
> well, they get outdated and frustrating because they don't
> interoperate with the rapidly changing part of the Linux world.
> So maybe I don't want Scientific Linux or CentOS.  Wish the
> RedHat/Fedora Legacy group had not disbanded. For security updates on
> a one year old distro, it was very handy.

I agree very much with your sentiment.  On our servers we run
Scientific Linux.  The desktops run Fedora.

The servers are great, but admittedly we use a much smaller set of
software.  With the desktops, its either do updates frequently or do
them 500 at a time.  I'd be a lot happier if the kernel was updated
less frequently (like with the server.)

Right now, I think the happy medium might be with the latest SL, and a
few applications like Firefox and Thunderbird compiled by hand in
/usr/local/...