Re: Which Server one Should Run-SLAPD/LDAP?

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 06:29 -0700, Jyotishmaan Ray wrote:
> Dear ALL,
>
> I would like to know a few things from your end. They are as follows:-
>
> 1.
>
> Should We Run SLAPD or LDAP ? And why?
>
> In other words, which command to execute:-
>
> service slapd restart
>
> or
>
> service ldap restart
>

> 2.
>
> In my case,  i have  installed the openldap packages with the help of commands:-
>
> yum install openldap openldap-clients,....
>

> 3.
>
> When i tried to execute the comand, service slapd restart, it ddint excute in the
> path /sbin.
>

> 4. If i have to run ldap then why and if slapd then why ?
>
> Are they all dependent on the operating system etc?
>

> Plus how they are linked to the databases at the backend ??
>
> Like as mentioned in the manual
>  here the slapd is linked to the LDBM, SHELL and
> PASSWD databases?
>
> Next question which database to use in the slapd.conf file ??
>

> Please reply wih all the answers.
----
/sbin/service command executes initscripts that are located
in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ path such as the one that is called ldap which is
the only initscript for openldap-server.

If you examine the contents of /etc/rc.d/init.d/ldap - you will note
that it does a number of things but the least of which is to
start /usr/sbin/slapd in daemon mode.

This is consistent with sysv

openldap version less than or equal to 2.0.x use ldbm
openldap version greater than or equal to 2.2.x use bdb

see openldap admin guide (linked is for version 2.3.x)...

http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/

Craig