Re: bash History on F7

Adel ESSAFI wrote:
Dear All
I have a strange behaviour on my bash shell on F7. In some session, I lose all the histoty!!! I don t find any command that I have executed in my previous sessions.
Regards.
Adel

From my custom /etc/profile:

# reconfigure the history file
#       prevents multiple logins to the same id from clashing
#       thought to work for bash and ksh
#================================================================
if [ -n "$HISTFILE" ]; then
  hdir=${HISTFILE%/*}
  hfile=${HISTFILE##*/}
  nfile=$(tty); nfile=.sh_hist_${nfile##*/}
  if [ "$hfile" != "$nfile" ]; then
    ( cd $hdir && touch $hfile && mv $hfile $nfile ) &&
      HISTFILE=${hdir}/${nfile}
  fi
  unset hdir hfile nfile
fi

Note, this was written in 1990 or so, when ksh was a very new toy. It has been working untouched for about 15 years, and the only thing changed is that on exit I now shred, purge, or at least delete the file for security. The world is a scarier place now. :-(

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>