Re: nvidia GeForce 8600GT video problems

David Kramer wrote:
I just built a computer with a eVGA nvidia GeForce 8600GT video card. I installed F7 x86_64. Video worked fine, but I ran into lots of other problems, so I wiped that out and tried to install F7 i386.

When I loaded Fedora 7 i386, X wouldn't start, but I managed to get over to a tty where I changed inittab so the runlevel was 3. I rebooted and did a yum -y update then rebooted again.

In the end, "root" could run startx successfully, but "david" couldn't. When "david" ran startx, I just get a blank screen until I
Ctl-Alt-Backspace.

The stdout and stderr from root can be seen at
http://thekramers.net/tmp/goodkde_f7_root.eml

The stdout and stderr from david can be seen at
http://thekramers.net/tmp/badkde_f7_david.eml

I didn't see any errors in one that weren't in the other, but maybe someone else will. I find it odd that F7 x86_64 had no video problems, but i386 did, let alone root working but david didn't.

I might try a reinstall tonight with a lot fewer packages, but I don't expect that to fix it.

Perhaps I should find a better-supported video card. I thought this one was, but further research (and empirical testing) shows that not to be the case. Can someone recommend a well-supported NVidia PCI-E X16 card with a decent amount of memory? I'm not above throwing money at it, if I know the card will work for sure.

Thanks.

You need to go to the Nvidia web page and click on downloads and then linux and then make the selection on the panel and then d/l the file. It looks like:

NAVIDIA-Linux-x86...

This works just fine on my F7.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI