Re: can't read from a Ricoh SD (Secure Digital) card reader

This is the bit where I eat my hat...

Without doing anything about it (no obviously relevent updates since the
last time I tried it), it turns out my laptop's internal reader *CAN*
read SD cards running Fedora and Ubuntu.  I havn't noticed it work
before, but it definitely is working when I tried it just now.

On the other hand, neither can read a MMC card.  I have a small 16 meg
one of them that came with the camera.  It's next to useless, and SD
cards are better than MMC cards, so I don't really care.  It's quite
possible that I did my tests with just that MMC card, just risking the
cheap pointlessly small card.  But I thought I had tested more than one
card.

Someone else pointed out that the MMC device in the lspci output (below)
was to do with optical media, but I'm wondering if that was wrong?
Whether MMC, in this case, is hardware particularly for MMC cards, and
the same abbreviation is also used in some aspect of optical media.

Fedora lspci:
06:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd Unknown device 0843 (rev 01)

Ubuntu lspci:
06:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controler (rev 01)

For what it's worth, as I said, neither Fedora nor Ubuntu would read
this MMC card using the laptop's internal reader, but it can be read
using an external USB multi-card reading gadget.  And, from Ricoh's own
website, that R5C843 chip is to do with Multi Media Cards.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.9-91.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.