Re: nvidia

Karl Larsen wrote:
You might have a nvidia video card on your motherboard. There are two choices here. Try to use the nvidia or turn it off and plug in your old known video card. Today I wish I had done the latter because using nvidia with f7 is a pain.

I really do not see a new Linux user ever getting his/her computer working with nvidia. You need to go to the nvidia web page and get a tarball and install it, not a new person's thing, or you can get 4 rpm files and learn to use --nodeps at the proper time.

Hoping that the updates would by now have some nvidia help, after getting 236 updates last night on my f7-64 bit system it did not fix the problem. I used the 4 rpm files from www.atrpms.net which worked but maybe not well. I heard from Ric Moore that the tarball is the way to go. I will try that on f8.

A bug I keep forgetting to file is the following. A really bad problem with nvidia is the missing pointer when X windows boots up. You can do nothing! This is fixed by edit of the /etc/X11/xrog.conf file adding you want to use a software pointer.

But this will not work if grub.conf has a kernel directive to use rhxxx which hides the boot up output. While that standard kernel directive exists you can not get a pointer period.

   This bug makes f7 and I expect f8 useless to a new user with nvidia.

I have read through the thread and decided that a single response is better than a dozen little responses.

I have used Nvidia since almost 2 months of fighting with ATI's driver a few years ago. I had no issues with Nvidia until I installed F7. Well, it wasn't the install but a kernel upgrade later when the problems started. I tried the Livna, Freshrpms and Nvidia versions of the same driver. All caused the same issues. None worked.

I knew my card was slower so I changed it. Surprise, the drivers worked. I now use the freshrpms due to dkms support. Better than having to re-make the Nvidia drivers or remove and upgrade the Livna drivers.

Now I don't put the blame on Nvidia as many in this thread have. I don't blame Fedora/RedHat, I blame the US government for allowing Software patents. This is where the issue stems from. No software patents, then no patent issues. Of course there is still copyright issues but that is another matter.

AMD/ATI merger is going to be good for OSS, as long as AMD releases decent drivers. Now the other end of this is it may force Nvidia to release OSS drivers.

While I was having problems, and the problem extended to the nv driver as well, I submitted bugs to both Nvidia and RedHat. At least Nvidia took the time to respond with some suggestions. RedHat just told me to take a hike as they had nothing to do with the closed source drivers. Even after submitting stack traces of the issues for the nv driver that were the same as the binary driver.

FWIW, in some recent kernels, I have had the same issue with an ATI card on FC6 that I have under F7. System freezes and Xorg running 95% of the processor. I don't point my finger to Nvidia but to the Kernel developers that have made a change. On the Nvidia forums for the problem (freezing) that I had, someone installed a custom kernel and fixed all their driver problems.

I do agree that if we want to get people converted from Windows to Linux, we have to get it working out of the box, not with two days of searching Google and hopefully fixing their issues.

I have two working machines that use Nvidia graphics and no issues lately.

From what I understand, the Nvidia driver requires more changes than just the addition of a module to the OS. I understand it changes some other files if you use the binary blob. I used the Livna rpms for ages but in F7, I find that the freshrpms is much nicer. No removing and re-installing the driver.

I think that the Fedora staff have to be willing to look at a closed source driver issue and submit a bug report up-stream in behalf of their users.

As for video card issues. I know a Windows user that last year dumped all ATI video cards due to driver issues. And Vista had major headaches with drivers. So the driver issue isn't just Linux. In the Windows world, Microsoft will throw money at the problem.

Maybe we can ask this group to get involved.

 Know Any Hardware Needing Better Linux Support?
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/28/0233231

--
Robin Laing