Re: nvidia

Todd Zullinger wrote:

Would you moan at redhat if you couldn't get Oracle to work on it,
yet Oracle claimed linux compatibility?
Of course.  There's not much excuse for screwing up interfaces that
an OS is supposed to provide.

Fedora's goal is to stay as close to upstream as possible and provide
very current versions.

That might have made sense on the 'stable' branch of the kernel when there was an unstable branch for bizarre new ideas - like there was when the fedora project was started.

For the kernel, this means that the interface
does change sometimes.

That's why major revision numbers were invented.

It is a simple fact.  If you don't like it,
please take your case to LKML.  It is ridiculous, pointless,
counterproductive, and IMO off-topic to bring it up here --
repeatedly.

If the kernel team insists on pushing out untested, broken stuff (and I think that's a given, with no development branch), it is now a distribution issue to decide what is fit to push out to the users. It is not off-topic at all, and I'll keep bringing it up as long as I have any hope that the fedora team cares at all if the update kernels they push out will boot. And if they don't care they should provide some truth-in-advertising and say exactly that on their project page.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx