Re: nvidia

on 10/29/2007 8:13 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Frank Cox wrote:

>>> Until they decide that it's time to sell you another card and discontinue their
>>> binary blob for the model that you already have.
>>>
>> You mean like when a developer of an opensource project decides he doesn't
>> want or can't continue to support the project and it closes down for lack of
>> others picking up the mantle?
>>
>> Of course nvidia doesn't do what you are suggesting.  They have their legacy
>> channel as in:
>>
>> Latest Legacy GPU version (1.0-71xx series): 71.86.01
>> Latest Legacy GPU version (1.0-96xx series): 96.43.01
>>

>     As I pointed out yesterday Nvidia is a HUGE company and they make
> many things besides a VGA card. They are aware that the VGA card be it
> in a motherboard or a pci card will not work on Linux. So they put some
> people to work to make drivers for Linux and they ran into problems with
> the Linux world. The kernel kept changing was one. But they kept at it
> and we have have good drivers for Linux.
>
>     Now the Linux world is mad because Nvidia will not share the source
> code. Has anyone asked for the source code?  There is  likely a rule at
> Nvidia that no software written by them goes out with source code. This
> is the Microsoft idea.

The rule is named "We want to make money from our work and revealing how
we get our video cards to do what they do (open the source) would allow
ATI and others to copy our work and cut into any profit'.  ;-)

Beg. Complain. Threaten. Whine. Do as you wish. It is not going to happen.

And it is not anyones fault. It is not anyone picking on Linux. The same
code(s) is/are not open to Apple or Microsoft either. Nvidia provides a
generic driver to them. And it is up to the user to upgrade to the better
Nvidia drivers if they want to do so.

Another name for the rule? It is also called 'Good Business'.

--

  David