Re: nvidia

On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 17:25 +0000, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> On 28/10/2007, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In the past, I have found that Nvidia has been pretty good compared with
> > other manufacturers (especially ATI) about their proprietary drivers.
> > Now that ATI is opening their drivers, I will be seriously considering
> > them in the future.  I'm stuck with the laptop for a while, though 8^(.
>
> At this point in time I have purged my life of all nvidia cards in
> favour of intel which have OSS drivers contributed by Intel. They may
> not be high end gaming cards, but they work damn well under linux, and
> so I'd recommend them highly if that is an option for you.

I'll look at them too for my next machines, but for my home machines, I
like the 3D capability, and as I said, for the laptop, I don't get a
choice.  (The T61 has an Intel video option, and I wish the powers that
be had chosen it, but they didn't, and I didn't know it was going to
turn out to be such a hassle.)

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences