Re: nvidia

Carroll Grigsby wrote:
On Sunday 28 October 2007 11:35:34 am Karl Larsen wrote:
Jonathan Underwood wrote:
On 28/10/2007, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    You might have a nvidia video card on your motherboard. There are
two choices here. Try to use the nvidia or turn it off and plug in your
old known video card. Today I wish I had done the latter because using
nvidia with f7 is a pain.

    I really do not see a new Linux user ever getting his/her computer
working with nvidia. You need to go to the nvidia web page and get a
tarball and install it, not a new person's thing, or you can get 4 rpm
files and learn to use --nodeps at the proper time.
Firstly, Fedora will work out of the box with nvidia cards using the
free/OSS drivers. They may not yet properly support 3D, but they do
work and give you a graphical interface.

At that point, if you do want the extra 3D glits, installing the
proprietory NVidia drivers is as trivial as this:

As root:
1) rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-7.rpm
2) rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-livna
3) yum install kmod-nvidia

That is ALL there is to it. You're making your life overly difficult.
    With those supplied with F7 my computer would not show a full screen
but one offset by about 70 degrees. And out of the box it has no pointer
on X windows. What is my computer?

    Well it is a SY-P4VGM v1.0  motherboard which has a nvidia video
card undefined in the small book they provide. A CD-Rom is included and
I will look at that. That is a SOYO motherboard at www,soyousa.com and I
will look for the nvidio name there.

Karl:
According to the Soyo site, your motherboard has an onboard Prosavage graphics chip (http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?t=d&id=292), and uses a VIA chipset. Nothing there about nVidia, so I assume that the nVidia card is an add-on. Is it possible that there is a conflict between the onboard chip and the nVidia card? In particular, has the onboard device been disabled in the BIOS?

-- cmg (who is very wary on on-board stuff)

Good information. My book says nothing about VGA except to say it's there. On the companion CD-Rom I found that the drivers are via-km400 which do sound like prosavage which is well known to Linux.

But for the fact that I get good video ONLY when nvidia software is correct and in place. So there must be some hardware somewhere also on the motherboard.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User