Re: Backup with rsync

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I've been using rsync to backup my desktop
to another machine linked by ethernet.

Actually, to date I have only been backing up
my own files, and have had no problems.
But I was thinking of backing up the whole system,
and I discovered that I would have to allow
root login with ssh.
I know how to do this in the sshd config
but would prefer not to do it if possible.

Is there a simple way round this?

rsnapshot will do that for you, you can use a regular user account to backup what you need, generally I symlink what I want backed up into a /bak directory (/etc, /var/www, et al) and back it up that way.

--
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support