Re: nvidia

Tim wrote:
On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 06:44 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
You might have a nvidia video card on your motherboard. There are two choices here. Try to use the nvidia or turn it off and plug in your old known video card. Today I wish I had done the latter because using nvidia with f7 is a pain.

That depends on which card you have.  I've two here that were easy
enough.  One fairly old, one quite new.
I have one that is VERY HARD. You see if you can get the name of your cards. I will look for mine. We can then steer Linux users away from mine.

I really do not see a new Linux user ever getting his/her computer working with nvidia. You need to go to the nvidia web page and get a tarball and install it, not a new person's thing, or you can get 4 rpm files and learn to use --nodeps at the proper time.

No, you don't.  Well, maybe *you* do, but not everybody.  I enabled the
Livna repo (which I use for more than just nvidia), yum installed
kmod-nvidia-something_or_other, and that was virtually it.

I do too have Livna eneabled so I can get VLC the best image and sound device on Linux. I also have 2 kmod-nvidia... files on my computer now.
Some older cards may be a bit more of a hassle.  Some other cards from
other companies may be a total impossibility.

We are talking here about a new card on a new motherboard that is a nvidia card. It stinks!
A bug I keep forgetting to file is the following. A really bad problem with nvidia is the missing pointer when X windows boots up. You can do nothing! This is fixed by edit of the /etc/X11/xrog.conf file adding you want to use a software pointer.

But this will not work if grub.conf has a kernel directive to use rhxxx which hides the boot up output. While that standard kernel directive exists you can not get a pointer period.

    This bug makes f7 and I expect f8 useless to a new user with nvidia.

RHGB is not compulsory, and the pointer bug only exists with some cards.
It doesn't with mine.

I see, all 10 of your nvidia equipt computers have never shown you a missing pointer? Amazing.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User