Re: Yum problem

On Sat October 27 2007, Tim wrote:
> Though, even if it's not going to shoot *itself* in the foot, you could
> well update some package to a broken one (one that's not previously been
> noticed as being broken, or has been noticed but not yet fixed).  At
> least if you check the list, you can make a decision about whether you
> want to update what's on offer, and whether you fancy putting up with a
> few hundred megs of updates, should a swag of dependencies go along for
> the ride.

Agreed. I take this a further step. Though I use Smart these days, the
principle is not different. I use the moment's glance at what an update is
going to do for self-education; in the Smart GUI, you can click on various
options to get details about packages - there are typically up to a thousand
or so packages on a typical system, and there are many whose purpose/function
I don't know - spending a few moments a week doing this, looking at the
details of two or three programs that are being updated, over years and
years, has taught me a lot about the system, and provided me with countless
leads for further investigation...

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA