Re: Fix X windows

Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 27Oct2007 12:20, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
I made the screen too large and when I reboot it would not come up in X windows. I can use Ctrl-Alt F1 and get back to level 3 and login as root.

But I can't recall the name of the tool that lets you change X window settings. Does anyone recall the name?
Try:
system-config-display --reconfig

I used just system-config-display and it brought up the panel with the odd size that the dam nvidia lets you use if you have not got its 5 or 6 rpm files and figured out how to load them. I got them all and then found out one will only work if I upgrade the kernel :-! So decided this was just too much for a new F7 and I will wait until F8 is available. Then I can FIGHT the dam nvidia for a good reason.

I have an NVidia card at work. I've been using the NVidia driver from
NVidia's web site< and it's worked well.

If you have a working X server whose only problem is the display
resoution the simplest approach is probably just the hack the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file:

  - get out of X, as you have done

  - take a copy of the current xorg.conf

  - edit the original
    There should be a section called "Screen", with a subsection called
    "Display". Edit the "Modes line to include the resoution you want;
    it must be something your monitor and card are supposed to do.
    Here's an example clause form my laptop:

        Section "Screen"
                Identifier "Screen0"
                Device     "Videocard0"
                Monitor    "Monitor0"
                DefaultDepth     24
                SubSection "Display"
                        Viewport   0 0
                        Depth     24
                        Modes    "1400x1050" "800x600" "640x480"
                EndSubSection
        EndSection

    I run in 1400x1050 on this machine.

  - start a new X server
    You can just run the command "startx :1", which will commence a new
    X server using id ":1" (because :0 is in use by the "main" X server
    just at present).

    If this works, you will get a display, probably not running your
    normal session. But we are only testing the resolution, so that's
    ok. If that's good, we're ready; quit the X server by typing
    ctrl-alt-backspace. Then return to your main server (Alt-F7)
    and quit it (ctrl-alt-backspace); this should cause it to start a
    new server using your new settings.

    If not, examine the file /var/log/Xorg.1.log. It should show
    the driver trying various resolutions. Search for yours.
    For example, for my laptop I would search for 1400x1050.
    The driver will only use a resolution it believes that
    the card will do and the monitor will accept.

If the above procedure works, you're good to go. Otherwise, there are
more things to try.
My problem is that my computer MUST have nvidia installed and working. This morning I discovered that the nvidia rpm's I have will require me to upgrade to the latest kernel. I can do that too. Not real hard but it all takes time. So perhaps tomorrow I will work on it more.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User