Re: fc6 nearing eol but f7 not useable yet (rant or feedback?)

Kevin Kofler wrote:

Blame Fedora's GNOME Desktop Team for this mess. We KDE SIG members are fighting as we can to get the menu entries to at least _include_ the real name of the apps. (There's no reason they can't include both the name and the generic name, e.g. "Pup Package Updater".

I hope this comes off too because IMHO the menu layout and structure in Fedora is poor, some of this probably originates from the freedesktop specification. I would love to see some of the insanity of subdirs in the menus sorted out too, the three directories called "Administration", "Settings" and "System" are a good example. I guess they are supposed to differ in some subtle way, but this isn't obvious and that's clear from what apps end up appearing in them.

Its toolbar icon has no properties associated with it
so I can't even tell what it launches.

In KDE, you can right-click and "Edit this entry...", which will both tell you what is being launched and allow you to fix the name.

The app itself has no "About"
button.  In fact, one must perform command line forensics to even find
out that the program's name is "pup".  (I prefer the spanish
pronunciation.)  Why, oh why, is every package preselected?  Why is the
"update list" window not resizeable?  Absolutely one of the worst user
interfaces I have ever used.  Actually, it's hard to call it a UI since
there is no interaction allowed except "click the mouse several hundred
times", quit, or apply, and it provides no user feedback except when it
barfs on itself.  Is it hanging?  Is it running?  Is it stalled?
Absolutely no way to tell.  Oh, a dependency issue.  Option of ignore or
continue?  No way, those choices are not available.  Error out.

Pup was not designed for experienced users.

And providing no feedback is better for inexperienced users? I don't think inexperienced users would suddenly get confused by the addition of an about menu for example.

--
Ian Chapman.