Re: iptables: drop or reject?

Tim wrote:
Tim:
/me wonders if you could create a firewall rule that redirected them to
connect to their own IP, after a while, so that they attack themselves.

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez:
Hehe, that reminds me what I was working as a sysadmin some years ago and we did exactly what you're talking about against a box outside our network that was trying to DoS us, was really funny :-)

I was told a tale of some clever-clogs on IRC proclaiming that they
could take anybody off the air, any time that they wanted.  So someone
in the channel told them, "my IP is 127.0.0.1, try your hardest."  'twas
amusing to all others in the channel, watching them repeatedly
disappear.  ;-)

Along the same lines I've given the address 'root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' to sites which I knew were going to end up sending spam. I can't remember where I heard about the mouse-potato.com domain, but it's a useful thing to have:

$ host mouse-potato.com
mouse-potato.com has address 127.0.0.1
mouse-potato.com mail is handled by 10 127.0.0.1.

It's also funny telling a web designer that someone has stolen the site they're working on and is hosting it at www.mouse-potato.com

Simon.