Re: Dependencies missing ??

On 25/10/2007, Dave Burns <tburns@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Several people including me have had success with the approach
> mentioned by darrylb in this thread:
>
>  http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=886935#post886935
>
> # rpm --erase firefox --nodeps
> .
> # yum install firefox
>
> Works because gecko is actually included with firefox (maybe this is
> new?)?

Nah, it's pure luck. It is no fix. It is crap advice -- easy to prove
that the entire theory is crap. And it isn't new that firefox
"Provides: gecko-libs" as a virtual package.

> Actually, that makes no sense to me, but I tried it and it
> worked.

Again, pure luck that when you did it, the mirror manager directed you
to a repository that had the _complete set_ (!) of updates already and
not just the new firefox [1]:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-October/msg00361.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-October/msg00362.html

--
[1] Because the new firefox includes the gecko-libs upgrade that
breaks deps unless the affected packages are rebuilt.