Re: fstab manipulation FC7

David Timms wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
>>
>> For example I have:-
>>
>>     //192.168.1.10/C        /home/chris/xp          cifs
>> noauto,user,password="" 0 0
>>
>> in my /etc/fstab which mounts my vmware XP drive so it's visible from
>> Linux.  Obviously the XP guest isn't running at boot time so I have
>> the 'noauto' option there.  With the 'user' option as well I can just
>> say "mount xp" to get at my Windows XP files.
> Nice. And it works for removable drives as well ?
> I guess they would be automounting by name {which means you don't know
> there name before plugging in} in any case.
>
> {I haven't bothered with an optical media drive on my current PC, so I
> can't test.}

For things like USB drives, I would think that HAL rules would work
better. For things like an always connected ZIP drive, (IDE or SCSI)
you could put in two rules, one for partition one, and one for
partition 4. But again, you could let HAL handle it.

Before HAL took care of auto-mounting USB drives, I used to have
udev rules that created specific symlinks for some of my USB drives,
and had fstab rules to mount the drive using the symlink names.

Mikkel