How Can I Tell?

I was running Fedora Core 6 x86_64 on a machine with AMD 64 x2 +5000 and
4-GB RAM.  I have a friend that was having some issues while attempting to
install Fedora 7.  I decided to do a parallel install with him to see what
the problem was (he needed cmake 2.4.7 for some robotics stuff he is
doing). We finally got his install correct, but found out that the cmake he
needed would install without upgrading to Fedora 8 Test.  At this point we
stopped and he went on to install Unbuntu 7.10 which has the cmake he
needed.

That brings me back to my issue.  I attempted to install Fedora Core 6
(which had been install and running perfectly) and got to the last reboot
(after the firewall and selinux, etc.).  When it rebooted I got a message
stating that the video was 'out of range' and the boot stopped.  I do have
a nvidia video card that has a Viewsonic 15" LCD plugged into it.  I
rebooted with the rescue CD in and went looking for the xorg.conf and saw
that there were none of the usual number I'm used to in there.  I installed
Fedora 7 and the video is perfect, but there is an issue with mounting file
system dung boot. I want to back to FC6 because it seems more stable to me.
Any ideas why this video issue cropped up?  Where can I find the numbers
I'm used to (600x400; 800x600; 1024x768; etc.) if I run into this again?

Thanks,
Gene Poole
gene.poole@xxxxxxxxx