RE: Manage great amounts of Fedora installations

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 07:21 -0400, Miner, Jonathan W (CSC) (US SSA)
wrote:

> > But my question is, how can I maintain that
> > great amounts of computers easily?
>
> Like others mentioned, kickstart, ssh access from a central host, and
> local repos are all excellent ideas.
>
> One more suggestion is to put a startup script on each machine that
> goes looking for a central script in an NFS mounted directory.  Each
> time a machine boots, it goes out and runs the script... what the
> script does is up to you! This works especially well if not all the
> machine will be powered on, and might be skipped over when you use ssh
> to push commands.

Let me also add that if you permit ssh access to the machines
(preferably by key only), a spectacularly useful tool is "clusterssh"
(aka "cssh").  It fires up ssh sessions to a list of machines, each in
its own window, plus a "master" window where whatever you type gets sent
to ALL the other windows.  "yum install clusterssh".

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-                       When in doubt, mumble.                       -