Re: New horizon's

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 16:50 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
> > David Boles wrote:

> >> Now you really have me confused. "a system without directories"? From
> >> where are you getting this information? I don't recall anyone saying
> >> anything such as this.
> >>

> > I, too, am interested in this.  I know ext4 is the next version of the
> > ext filesystem, but everything else mentioned by you has to my
> > knowledge NOT been hinted at on any of the lists I'm on.  Facts, man,
> > give us facts.
> >

>     Sorry I can't give you facts. I am just thinking where Fedora is
> going. I have today answered myself why /dev/sda changes while /dev/hda
> is constant. I don't like it by the way. It makes writing a grub.conf
> very difficult.
>
>     I need to learn more about all this. Or go back to FC6.
>

> --
>
> 	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> 	Linux User
> 	#450462   http://counter.li.org.

The reason that all the /dev/hdX devices turned into /dev/sdX devices is
because the underlying device drivers have changed.  This change allows
for a more structured approach to write hard drive controller device
drivers and can share some common code.  The old IDE/ATA drivers were
reimplemented under the libata code which was originally written for
SATA controller devices.

If you use labels, partition uuids, or logical volumes then you can not
care about which /dev/sdX is which.  Also any Fedora after 7 will not
have any /dev/hdX devices as the kernels are all going to use the libata
drivers. So from now on forget that /dev/hdX devices exist or use a
pre-libata for all ATA devices kernel from now on if you have to
have /dev/hdX to live.

I think you need to go read some of the documentation more myself so
that you can become more educated about some of the changes are are
taking place upstream in the kernel. That or use a less up to date
distributions like Centos or Debian that is not going to change on you
very rapidly like Fedora or Ubuntu will.

I suggest reading the kernel changelog summary at
http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges. They list the various changes
that are taking place in the kernels.  If you are wondering a future
changes to the kernel then I suggest reading
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Linux_Weather_Forecast as the site
has a decent write up of what might and might not happen with the
kernel.

Adam Hough