Re: Booting from a USB stick

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Actually, I'm quite puzzled by this.
> I did give this command.
> Before I gave it, "mount" showed /dev/sdb1 as ro,
> while after it was rw.
> However, the changes I made (such as adding a user)
> disappeared on re-booting (after running "sync").
>
> If anyone can throw light on this I should be grateful.

The premise behind a "live" distro is that the device
that holds the OS cannot or should not be written to.
Remounting deals with the cannot, but not the should not.

The writeable system files, such as user data,
are stored in a ram-based file system.
There is probably a way to do what you want,
but I expect that it's hard.

--
Mike   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Horse guts never lie."  -- Cherek Bear-Shoulders