Re: Booting from a USB stick

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>> The other point is that rather surprisingly
>> the instructions did not point to the ISO required.
>>
> You are supposed to run it from the directory with the CD image. You
> should be able give the full path to the image as the image name if
> you run from a different directory.

I didn't express myself clearly.
What I meant was that the instructions did not give an URL
where one could obtain the CD ISO online.

>> Finally, I found the USB stick was (perhaps not surprisingly)
>> mounted read-only, so one could not eg add a user;
>> or rather, one could, but it was not there on re-booting.
>>
> Are you sure the USB stick was mounted read-only, or was it just the
> compressed file system that was mounted read-only? The reason I ask,
> is because what this install does is copy the compressed file
> system, and the files needed to load/boot it over to the USB stick.
> The main advantages of using the USB stick are access speed, and
> physical size.

I'm sure you are right, though I don't completely understand
what you are saying.
"Mount" showed /dev/sdb1 (the memory stick) as ro.
I then ran "mount -o remount,rw /dev/sdb1"
and it became rw.
However none of the changes I made when sdb1 was rw seemed to "stick";
all disappeared when I re-booted.