Re: Stablemirror yum plugin updated for F7 & F8

At 11:04 PM -0500 10/21/07, Matt Domsch wrote:
>On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 10:28:24AM -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
>> Stablemirror 0.4 now works with yum 3.2 in F7 and F8t3 and rawhide.
>
>[snip]
>
>> <http://georgeanelson.com/stablemirror.htm>
>>
>> Yum normally uses a randomly chosen mirror, different each time run.  If
>> all mirrors were always up-to-date, this would work well.  However, when a
>> repository is updated, its mirrors gradually come up-to-date over the next
>> day or so, as some mirrors update often, most update daily, some less
>> often, and some never update.  This means that when yum is run, it may use
>> a mirror that is more, or less up-to-date than last time.  With the dynamic
>> mirrorlist improvements, there are few broken mirrors, but the mirror may
>> still be hours out of date.
>
>I'm open to suggestions for making the result returned by the dynamic
>mirrorlist "better".

Some of the mirrors are always slow, or usually say they're busy and try
again later.  About all the Fedora mirror infrastructure could do there is
offer those mirrors less often.

>There will always be some lag between when an
>update is pushed to the master mirrors, and when it hits the Tier 1
>and Tier 2 downstream mirrors.  As you note, that lag is relatively
>short anymore.  I suppose if we had a notification of the push
>(e.g. an email caught by the database software), we could watch for
>the bits to hit the master mirror, and mark all mirrors except the
>masters as out-of-date until they check in or are crawled again...
>
>Other ideas?

Stablemirror ensures that the mirror being used is as up-to-date as the
metadata, which makes it likely that all updated packages will be present.
This doesn't seem to be something that can be centralized unless all the
mirrors are always updated atomicly at the same instant.

Stablemirror allows the use of a slightly out-of-date mirror, as long as
that mirror is as up-to-date as the metadata.  This allows yum to usually
keep working during mirror updates, which would not be the case if there
were no mirrors returned by the mirrorlist.  It is better for the
mirrorlist to return a list of nearly up-to-date mirrors than to return an
empty list.  Possibly it could be made to return some sort of "mirror
sets", groups of mirrors at the same date.  Still, there would still be
short periods where the mirror and the mirrorlist were out of sync, so
really yum must still cope with the issue.