Re: Experiencing the Grub Error 17

Paul Smith wrote:
>>> Thanks, Mikkel. I am so frustrated with this that I may be doing
>>> things without sense. But let me try to be clearer:
>>>
>>> I am trying to boot in the F7 partition, which is in /dev/sdc2 and
>>> /dev/sdc3 (it is lvm). What precisely should I do in order to be
>>> successful with booting in it?
>>>
>> Are you telling the BIOS to boot from that drive, or are you booting
>> from another drive?
>
> Yes, Mikkel, the disk from which I want to boot has the highest
> priority in BIOS..

OK - this gets a bit tricky, because when you boot from this drive,
it is no longer hd2 - it is hd0. So Grub will be looking for its
files in the wrong place. What I would do is edit your Grub
configuration file to reflect this.

I would install Grub to the MBR or the disk. This will be (hd2) in
your current setup. After booting from the drive, you will probably
get the Grub prompt, because it is looking for its files in the
wrong place. You should then be able to run something like:

grub> root (hd0,1)
grub> setup (hd0)

This should install a properly updated Grub to the correct hard
drive. You can then reboot and you should get the Grub menu, or it
should start loading Linux, depending on your Grub configuration.

Now, you may have trouble when Linux starts to boot, depending on
your Linux configuration, because the drive mapping changed between
install and booting. If so, we can work on that next. (It depends on
if you used drive labels or not.)

Mikkel