Re: New modem and iptables...

2007/10/22, John Summerfield <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Antonio wrote:
> >>>
> >> I expect your "modem" is actually a router, and that you can just turn
> >> your Linux firewall off. The router performs firewall and NAT functions
> >> that are perfectly adequate for most people.
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> John
> >>
> >> -- spambait
> >> 1aaaaaaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Z1aaaaaaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >>

> > no...when I say modem,I mean modem, even if can start connection by itself...
> > What is funny is that it has a DHCP server even if it has just a
> > single Ethernet port  :-)
>
> I have a so-called modem, but it really is a router. Like yours, it has
> a single ethernet port. Mine's an iconnect 622, and it does pppoe,
> pppoa, dhcp, dns relay and some other stuff. However, I set it to
> bridging mode and do the pppoe myself.
>
> If you want to persuade me it's a modem, better name it;-)
>

> --
>
> Cheers
> John
>
> -- spambait
> 1aaaaaaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Z1aaaaaaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Please do not reply off-list
>
> --

John

mine is a D-link 320T. I still assume that is a modem, I do not see
any firewall or DNS stuff.
But I forgot that any Save and reboot option (button) with this series
of D-link (same for wireless router) is not working if you connect by
Firefox (at least in Linux) but it is o.k. by Windows Explorer (so I
had to recconnect a Windows laptop to save settings and reboot modem):
I assumed to have settings for Ppoe but it was not true!!! Tnx for
help

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag