Re: kmail problem

On Sunday 21 October 2007 09:38:35 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> Trying to get a duplicate of this mail system I have on this FC6 machine
> working on my F7 lappy, but I've run into a kmail config problem I can't
> find the answer to.
>
> Here, I have procmail delivering to /var/spool/mail/gene, which is a
> _mailfile_.
>
> Apparently the newer kmail seems bent on working only with MailDirs.

    I stopped doing this a while back so my recommendation is a little
different than what you expect but it may solve your troubles anyway.

   I like to be able to change mail clients and not worry about any  format
issues - the best way i know to do that is to never have local mail files.
And its very simple to do.

    I run a local imap server - simply edit /etc/dovecot.conf and service
start dovecot ; chkconfig dovecot on.  dovecot can happily see older unix
style mailfiles - although I changed my delivery to maildir as well - has a
lot of advantages esp if your mail folder gets large.

   Then point your mail client at the imap server on 127.0.0.1.

    I find it best to keep all my mail on the imap server - inlcuding sent
mail etc - if you have local files - you can simply drag and drop the local
ones to the imap server after creating the folder structure you need.

    Now if you ever want/need to use thuderbird  - or evo and whatever other
mail client .. you can - and go back to kmail at will.

    good luck.

  g/