Re: i386 or x86_64 on laptop?

sean darcy wrote:
I'm installing f8t3 0n a compaq presario c714 laptop, intel GM965 chipset, T2310 2 gigs. This is a general purpose machine, the only heavy lifting might be using ffmpeg for rendering.

I need to use ndiswrapper to deal with a broadcom rev 2 wlan. I'd like to be able to use Flash.

I've looked around for any real benchmarks on using x86_64. I haven't found any, which suggests to me that there are no substantial benefits to x86_64.

Does anyone know of any real data comparing the two?

My feeling is you wouldn't notice the difference. 32-bit is likely to be more reliable wrt brand-x add-ons such as that binary blob you hope to wrap in ndiswrapper.

64-bits is better when you need lots of RAM (maybe more than 3 Gb on Intellish h/w), or lots of big programs (say, database, http servers, I won't rule out graphics rendering).

I plan on 64-bits for my HP desktop, but I have ideas of running several virtual machines.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait