Re: [Fedora] Re: DHCP & DNS

zephod@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Yes, I know I could do that. It's OK when there are only 2 boxes but what if I had a small office setup with, say, 100 PCs. It's not so practical then. I'm interested in finding out if there is another way to make this work.
Rather than having the WRTG run the DHCP, let your FC machine do that. Configure DHCP on FC to hand out the same IP for the WRTG, and set the rest of the pool as dynamic - this way the router will always have the same IP, which you can then use as the gateway for your network. The other machines can have their IPs change if they so desire. Then, on the same FC box, you also set up a local DNS server and let DHCP dynamically update it. Set all the machines to use the FC as their DNS server and voila. It no longer matters if the IPs change on the machines since the FC box will always have an updated list to hand out.

As a practical example, I have this setup at the company where I work. Our gateway also runs our DHCP server, and that same machine also runs a DNS server for the local network. When DHCP hands out an IP for a machine on the local network, it also notifies the DNS server which in turn creates an ARPA entry in the 192.168.x.x range as well as insert an entry in the main domain name we use internally. Now, any machine can simply type in the name of another machine to get to it (as opposed to having to figure out what their IP is each time.)

In a way this would be overkill for simply two machines, which is what your initial request was for. But if you plan on expanding, then it would make more sense to do DHCP with a dynamic DNS.