Re: Box Cracked ( Was: thank's )

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
El Domingo, 21 de Octubre de 2007 09:43, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez escribió:
Sometimes it's useful to look in /etc/passwords for new users created with
uid 0.
It's a good idea to create users such like smtp, smtprelay, systemuser or
that sort of names which, in the beggining doesn't seem to be suspicius and
give them the uid 0...

I dispute that. If one's using passwd authentication, anyone who has access to the box can see what they are.

So it's a good idea to look for other users with the 0 uid despide of root.

More probable is a setuid root shell, hidden some place. I once found an IRC bot in /var/spool/cron/.mesh

Manuel

I meant /etc/passwd :-)

An intruder doesn't need to be root to use the system, sometimes it's better not to be. When someone gained root on a system I know about, there cracker kit damaged the system so it wouldn't run. OTOH, without root, they were still able to install software in a user's home directory.

I found that one because of firewall reports. But for that, they could have been there for weeks or months, instead of just hours.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait