Re: Box Cracked ( Was: thank's )

El Domingo, 21 de Octubre de 2007 07:33, bob.smith@xxxxxxxxxxx escribió:
> hi,
> well, I found rkhunter, ran it, and it did output a few warnings. Now...I
> feel more comfortable knowing about rkhunter, which I did not know before
> this thread.

As someone point out in a previus email, running an anti-rootkit is not the
final solution and you may not feel the safest person accros the earth, cause
you should know that there're quite a lot rootkits that look for the those
anti-rootkits, and if they found them the I'd patch then in order to do not
show themlselves in the results.

> A good thing would be to (for each distro) somehow document what is normal
> on a default installation(if such exists). For example the numerous unix
> sockets that are in use on my box worried me a lot. Of course they as
> someone mentioned "don't leave the system", but that didn't occur to me.
>
> regarding the /tmp directory, there is an entry /tmp/keyring-something.
> Does anyone know what the term keyring means in the security context?

Most likely it's always related with the GPG, so nothing to worry about.

Manuel.

--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.

be used for urgent or sensitive issues.