Re: Grub Manual

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

... At first look at what it takes in the file /grub/grub.conf to
boot a Linux system.
quite simply, there is no file named "/grub/grub.conf".
That's where grub will find it, assuming /boot is a separate
partition from the OS perspective since grub does not have access to
anything else during the boot process.  And the place you think the
grub.conf file lives is really a symlink.

*sigh*.  i'm aware of all that -- i was simply pointing out that, not
two paragraphs into his allegedly new-and-improved GRUB tutorial, karl
referred his readers explicitly to a file that simply does not exist,
with no caveat about how this relates to /boot or separate partitions
or anything else that would explain why, if the reader went looking
for that file, they'd never find it.

and, at this point, i think i'll just go back to spectating and being
amused.  trying to educate karl is sort of like, well, like this:

http://amybrennan.blogs.com/Ginger.jpg

rday
You rday are the most self-centered person I have ever had the unhappy time to meet. I agree the paper I wrote was poor. It is in re-write but it still includes that there is a file called grub.conf and if your working with grub you better know what it says. Or do you think it is just a file?

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User