Re: Grub Manual ... Solved

On Saturday 20 October 2007, William Case wrote:
>Hi Gene;
>
>I was very glad to see your post.  Comments below ...
>
>On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 12:33 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

[snip lengthy repeat]

>You make the same point I was trying to make but make it with much more
>specificity.

Thanks for the flowers.

>That the same or similar words have different meanings
>when used with Grub and with Linux.  That if you are working with Grub
>use the Grub meanings; if you are working with Linux use that Operating
>Systems vocabulary. That was what I was trying to show by talking of
>Grub being a kind of separate, independent operating system.
>
>It can be hard on a newbie to have to keep Linux 'root' in one
>compartment of the brain, while keeping the meaning of Grub 'root' in an
>other compartment.  But it is not an impossible feat; humans do that
>kind of thing all the time.

Yup.

>It is much simpler to do if you are warned ahead of time that you will
>be called upon to play that mental game.  Your explanation above would
>suffice to give that warning in a manual or info.

Unforch, its not IN the man pages in quite that language.

[...old sig]

>Kept your signature 'cause I love it.

Its been there for quite a while. 2-3 years at least. Apropo I think.  The
point being that the first 3 boxes haven't been all that successfull in
recent times.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)