Re: Transfer F7 partition to a new hard disk

On Saturday 20 October 2007, Paul Smith wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>I have just bought a new hard disk. Could someone please tell me how
>can I create a clone of my F7 partition in the new hard disk?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Paul

If you truly want a clone, and this can be dangerous, you have been warned:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=blocksize used on current drive

The dangerous part comes in if you have labels on the partitions.  Linux does
NOT like two identically named partitions, so it would be best to disable
anything that even remotely resembles automount before starting.

You could also use a drive letter on the same cable, but it will be even
slower.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)