Re: Transfer F7 partition to a new hard disk

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 15:58 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> On 10/20/07, Jonathan Dieter <jdieter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Just want to clarify: you want to clone a partition or a hard drive?
> > Will you leave the original hard drive in the computer or remove it
> > after you're done cloning it?
>
> Thanks, Jonathan. I want to remove the old hard disk after it is
> copied into a partition of the new hard disk.
>
> Paul

Okay, here's what I would do (assuming that the new hard drive has
*nothing* on it and is the same size or larger than the old drive):

1. While the computer is off, plug the new hard drive in
2. Boot from the Rescue CD
3. Work out which drive is the new one (the target) and which is the old
   one (the source).  For the purpose of this example, the source will
   be /dev/sda and the target will be /dev/sdb.
4. Run "dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M".
   IMPORTANT: Make sure that /dev/sda really is the *source* and that
   /dev/sdb really is the target.  If you get them backwards, you will
   erase *all* of your data.
5. Shutdown system.
6. Remove old hard drive and plug new hard drive into IDE (or SATA) port
   old hard drive was in.
7. Reboot.

Just a heads up that the partitions on the new drive will be the same
size that they were on the old drive.  If you want to make them larger
(because your new drive is larger) you need to use something like
system-config-lvm (assuming you're using LVM).

Jonathan