Re: wpa_supplicant.conf for F7 for WPA-PEAP

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 16:45 +0000, Mike C wrote:
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
> > Well there is one more thing you need to do. That is to stop
> > the /etc/init.d script network. chkconfig network off
> > will do that. If network is running at the same time as NM I would
> > expect the connection dropping you experience.
>
> I had in fact stopped the network service before running NM - but it still was
> flaky - it is possible the wireless signal from the AP was weak in my office but
> I will try this again next week in a stronger signal area.
>
> > Forget about trying to configure wpa_supplicant. NM does that. My
>
> Does that mean that the wpa_supplicant.conf generated when NM makes the
> connection is saved somewhere?  If so I would like to be able to get at that
> file and use it directly - after all with wpa_supplicant then all the network
> blocks in the config file are tried to look for a connection - so if
> wpa_supplicant daemon is set to come up at boot then it should "just work"
> whichever AP you are near that is profiled in the config file. At least that was
> my intention - that way I don't need to do anything except log in to my KDE
> session and I should be able to work with it immediately. I guess with NM you
> still have to choose which wireless to connect to each time you log in?

Well some of this might be clarified on the networkmanager-list@xxxxxxxxxx
I never had anyone say that NM configures the wpa_supplicant but it must
since I never had to do any configuration of it. Now the NM in my
experience remembers which AP you use in every wireless environment so
when I log in in that environment that AP is connected to.

Now there is one proviso to this behavior. If your encryption key for
the AP is stored in the equivalent in KDE to the gnome-keyring you will
probably have to enter the keyring passwd before you can connect.

Now this behavior will be altered in NM 0.7. Currently access is
allocated on a user basis. They are thinking of allowing machine based
access.
Paprika Measure: 2 dashes == 1smidgen 2 smidgens == 1 pinch 3 pinches ==
1 soupcon 2 soupcons == 2 much paprika